Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No. 1

After following a few blogs whose only purpose is to express thankfulness for ordinary mercies and grace (as well as a couple blogs about funny cat pictures and celebrity fashion don'ts), I decided to make my own, as an attempt to focus more on gratefulness and the delightful things that happen around and to me every day.

1. I am walking to the Armitage stop after a sunny morning at the Green City Market. I am drinking a peach-blueberry smoothie made by the fine people at Seedless (the apple cider company) and I see Adam Lambert's beautiful face on the cover of the Red Eye, so I stop to pick one up. Whilst juggling a smoothie, my bag full of local produce (okay, full of pies and pastries, but there was some asparagus in there), trying to rescue Adam from newspaper stand bondage, a woman quickly walked by and said "YOU LOOK ADORABLE." As I shouted "Thank you!" she said again "ADORABLE." She was walking very fast but took the time to express a positive thought about someone she didn't know. Go lady! And thank you.

2. I watched Ellen DeGeneres' commencement address to the Tulane Class of '09 and found this piece of wisdom particularly inspirational: "Life is like one big Mardi Gras, but instead of showing your boobs, show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have more beads than you know what to do with." It reminds me of a line in one of my dear friend Seth's songs: "See the world, and let the world see you; take the time to love the things you do." I find that the best advice I've ever heard is so simple, which makes me think that perhaps life is actually very easy to maneuver. Good news for someone like me who worries all day every day about the enormous trickiness, confusion, and splendor of life.

3. I got a job teaching kids gymnastics, which is a job that does not involve selling things, which is fantastic. My new boss is kind and understanding, and my new place of work is fun and empowering to little yuppie offspring. Out of 60 people who interviewed, I'm one of 2 who got hired. This makes me feel very good, and very encouraged to be more brave, more often. Because you know, you never know.

Okay apparently writing about gratefulness also involves lots of bragging. So there you have it, friends; I am adorable and also hire-able. But also grateful, and that's the point here. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Kudos to you for starting something positive...you put out positive energy into the world and positive energy will return to you!

    ReplyDelete