Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No. 51

1. The dish washer at work told me, "I was in a really bad mood this morning. But then I started singing 'Monster Mash' to myself and I felt better."

I stole his idea; it worked.

2. Waking up naturally (!) at 4:45, 15 minutes before my alarm clock was set to do the job. Not being incredibly sleepy despite very little sleep. The first order of business was to kill a bug fluttering about my kitchen on very many legs; initially I screamed and ran in the opposite direction but then got it together and squished him fearlessly. A very adventuresome way to begin the day. Making 36 scones for the morning rush seemed like childs' play in comparison.

3. Writing this from an internet cafe between my two shifts. Internet cafes remind me of dirty hole-in-the-wall places all over Europe and South America with slow connections, a skeazy guy behind the counter, and much fluorescence, and with keyboards whose keys are all in a jumble of alphabet spaghetti and strange accent marks; of course I find them terribly nostalgic and charming. Thankful for a nice-sized break between shifts. Thankful for time to sit and be productively lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment